Who uses Instrumentl?
Nonprofits and professional grant writing consultants use Instrumentl to get matched with the right funders, reveal funders’ giving trends, and efficiently track and manage their grants.
Explore specific use cases for each in the answers below.
How do nonprofits typically use Instrumentl?
Nonprofits typically use us to bring everything related to institutional fundraising to one place. This includes grant prospecting, tracking, and management.
We work off the concept of a project, which is a "workspace" with two components: a saved grant search and a grant tracker. With our Grant Tracker, you can save your favorite grants and track them over time, receive deadline reminders, view your history with a grant or funder, set up tasks and task reminders, and see your progress from a bird’s eye view.
With projects, nonprofits can easily stay organized on every key grant fundraising effort and get automatically matched with new, relevant grants as they come up.
Nonprofits also make use of 990 data breakdowns to evaluate funders by spotting trends such as new grantees, geographical giving, grant sizes and giving by category, to only spend time on grants that hold the biggest potential for them.
Check out this page to discover more Instrumentl use cases for nonprofits.
What type of nonprofits does Instrumentl serve best?
At this time, we’re only working with US-based 501c(3)s with operating budgets over $90k or those regularly applying for grants.
The reason behind this is most nonprofits who’ve reached this stage typically:
- have either validated grants as a viable funding pathway and are looking to scale their grantseeking or
- are ready to invest in seriously exploring grants and have the capacity to do so.
Do you help nonprofits outside of the US?
At this time, we are only working with US-based nonprofits registered under the 501c(3) tax-exemption status.
Are grants to individuals included?
No, Instrumentl is an institutional fundraising platform. Hence, our grant database only includes grants designed for nonprofit organizations.
How do grant writing consultants typically use Instrumentl?
Grant writing consultants typically set up separate projects for each client they are working for.
We work off the concept of a project, which is a "workspace" with two components: a saved grant search and a grant tracker. With Grant Tracker, you can save your favorite grants and track them over time, receive deadline reminders, view your history with a grant or funder, set up tasks and task reminders, and see your progress from a bird’s eye view.
Sometimes for larger clients, you may find yourself pursuing multiple funding initiatives at the same time. In that case, it’s advised to create different projects for each key funding initiative.
For example, you may be consulting for an afterschool program that has both a literacy program and a math program. In this situation, you would create one project for the literacy program and another for the math program. Keeping these two separate, allows you to customize your searches for both respective programs.
Check out this page to discover more Instrumentl use cases for grant writing consultants.
What kinds of grants do you have?
Instrumentl is the most comprehensive, up-to-date source of active grants for nonprofits in any field.
We match our grant-seekers with over $1 billion in active grants from:
- Corporate funders
- Federal governments
- State governments
- Private foundations
- Community foundations
- Clubs and societies
For academic research, Instrumentl is specialized in grants for researchers in fields related to the environment (including all non-human biology), earth sciences, and agriculture.
What sets Instrumentl apart?
Here are the six things only Instrumentl can do. Most alternatives can provide only a few of these features.
- The most comprehensive grant database — Instrumentl is the most comprehensive source of active and open grants for any field. We pull grants from corporate, private, federal, and even state funding sources, you don't need to search anywhere else.
- Intelligent matching to the right funders — Our smart matching algorithm automatically matches your projects to the new, relevant funding opportunities as they come up.
- Up-to-date grant information — We pull the eligibility criteria from a funder's website and 990s and consolidate it on one, easy-to-read page (see example). Additionally, we track funder websites 24/7 and notify you when there is a material change — such as a change of deadline or giving preferences — so you’re always in the loop.
- Clearly visualized 990s & foundation profiles — Strategically evaluate new and existing funders by spotting revealing trends such as new grantees, geographical giving, grant sizes, and giving by category through clear breakdowns of funders’ 990 data.
- Grant management — Save your favorite grants on the Grant Tracker, receive deadline reminders, view your history with a grant or funder, set up tasks and task reminders, and see your progress from a bird’s eye view.
- Grant reporting — Export any of your saved grants pipeline data into an easy-to-read PDF or CSV in seconds. Share them with your clients or nonprofit team on a weekly or monthly basis to keep everyone in the loop on your latest progress.
What if I already have a pipeline or tracker for grants? Is it easy to switch over?
Absolutely! Just create your account and your first project. Then, you’ll be able to import your existing grant tracker into Instrumentl.
In the case where you have a lot of opportunities, you may find our template here helpful. Our team will be on standby to help you make sure everything is imported as needed.
How is Instrumentl different from other grant tools?
We’re glad you asked! Instrumentl differentiates itself by bringing grant prospecting, tracking, and management to one easy-to-use platform.
Most alternatives will only cover one or two of these three aspects.
Review these helpful deep-dives comparing Instrumentl to the common tools here:
Learn about the eight things only we can do here.
How much does Instrumentl cost?
You can learn about our pricing here.
We also offer higher-tiered plans that help you further accelerate your institutional fundraising efforts. For example, our Plus Plan includes Foundation Discovery, Advanced Funder Insights (i.e. 990 data breakdowns), and Recipient Profiles.
These features help you find even more good-fit funders who may not have active grant opportunities, quickly analyze funder trends from 990 data and reverse search who is funding a nonprofit to find more good-fit funders faster.
All this and more can be explored on our pricing page.
Do you offer a discount for nonprofits?
All of our customers are nonprofits or grant writing consultants who serve nonprofits. As such, our pricing is our nonprofit pricing.
Where I can get help on how to use Instrumentl?
You can find answers to all the questions related to product and its features in our Help Center.
Who is behind Instrumentl?
We’re a team of former nonprofit development staff, scientists, and software engineers. We built Instrumentl because we had trouble finding grants for our own projects and we knew there had to be a better way. We’re headquartered in San Francisco, California, but we're a 100% remote company.
You can learn more about Instrument’s mission and the team here.
Have any other questions?
We’re here to help! Send us an email and we’ll get back to you ASAP.